(blush) This requires a lot of ‘splainin’.
When my granddaughter was little, I would read to her every night. And I read to her from all of the Little Bear books. One of them, the first one, I think, had a section wherein Little Bear made a soup, a Mulligan, with items brought to his birthday by his animal friends.
The items were, carrots and potatoes, peas and tomatoes.
My granddaughter wanted to make a Little Bear Birthday Soup. So I did. It was bland and — awful.
So, today, I got thinking, what if I jazzed it up, with stew meat?
I fixed it, and not too bad, though some more spices wouldn’t hurt.
Little Bear Stew
- 1 can sliced carrots
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can potatoes
- 1 can sweet peas
- 1 pound stew meat from butcher
- 2 cups flour
- Vegetable oil
- Put 2 cups flour in a medium mixing bowl. Add spices, in this case, paprika and black pepper as you like it.
- Place the stew meat into the bowl and shake around until all the pieces are coated.
- Pour enough vegetable oil in a large pan to almost cover the floured stew meat. Cook until all the meat is browned. This also produces a thick roux.
- Add in the vegetables, and cook on medium for a few minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Store or serve.